North East London Christmas Quiz results
After a slow start I had quite a few entries come through last night including several with ten out of ten correct answers so the prize of 2 free walk places has been awarded and the winner “ND” has been notified.
Here are the answers (and questions for ease of reference):
1. What world famous aircraft invented in the 1960s was designed by a man whose parents owned a toy shop on the corner of Beech Hall Road and Hale End Road, Highams Park, London E4?
2. Which famous jazz musician spent his childhood in a house in Hollywood Way, Woodford Green?
3. What other world famous aircraft invented in the 1920s was designed by a man who lived as a child in Silverdale Road, Highams Park? Richmond Crescent also in Highams Park was named after the designer.
4. What famous TV cookery expert was born in Fairlop Road, E11 in 1909?
5. What famous novel (later a film) was written by a man who lived in both College Road, Walthamstow and Oak Hill Gardens, Woodford Green and as a boy attended Sir George Monoux Grammar School in Walthamstow?
Goodbye Mr Chips
6. What film director was born on the site of 517 High Road, Leytonstone, E11 in 1899 and famously had a cameo role in most of his films?
7. Which comedian frequently seen on QI spent his childhood in Chingford?
8. Which Top Ten band whose first single hit the charts in 2002 were formed at Highams Park School?
9. Which Walthamstow resident has curated an exhibition currently on at the British Museum called “Tomb of the Unknown Craftsman”?
10. Which famous crime writer was born in South Woodford, E18 in 1930?
I might make this a regular posting but will probably stick to Central London in future and the next quiz will be on historic pubs, my specialist subject!