Do you work in Victoria? Away from the main street there is so much to discover. I can offer various walks in this neighbourhood including lunchtime circular walks either from a specific spot such as Westminster Cathedral in Victoria Street or maybe from your office.
Walks in and around Victoria will include a selection of the following:
- the unfinished ecclesiastic building that was built on the site of a correction house for “indolent paupers”;
- why the now defunct Watneys Brewery had a stag on their sign and what its connection with Victoria was;
- evidence of the various charity schools and almshouses that peppered the area;
- the burial ground said to be the resting place of Captain Thomas Blood who attempted to steal the Crown Jewels;
- the macaroni parson and his unfortunate demise and what is now on the site of his chapel;
- 1 of 2 statues in London holding an umbrella
- the building that was so tall it blocked Queen Victoria’s view of Parliament;
- why Petty France is so named;
- the controversial sculptures on 55 Broadway.
And much more besides.
There are several good pubs in the area which can be fitted into the walk if required.